7th August, 2013 - Posted by Admin - No Comments
The following Fair Trade Roundup was written by Global Exchange Fair Trade Summer intern Beilul Naizghi.
This issue reminds you to spread the word about a new Fair Trade internship at Global Exchange and proposed changes to Fairtrade International’s hired labor standards, plus the vetted list of Fair Trade related articles below in the “News to Peruse” section.
1. Featured Fair Trade Update
2. Global Exchange Fair Trade Update
3. Fair Trade News to Peruse
Fairtrade International just finished soliciting feedback for proposed changes to their hired labor standards.
Among the proposed changes are modifying the distribution of the premium so that up to 30% would be given directly to workers, protecting worker’s rights to organize by creating a freedom of association protocol all companies affiliated with FLO must sign and raising hired labor salaries from the current regional minimum wage.
“Hired labor standards have been one of the weakpoints in certification systems so it’s critical that they review and update the standard to provide more protections for all workers in the supply chain,” Adeline Lambert of the International Labor Rights Forum said.
The consultation period ended on August 5, 2013. Stay tuned!
2. Global Exchange Fair Trade Update: We’re Seeking a new Fall Fair Trade Intern
As summer comes to a close, here at the Global Exchange office we’re already preparing for the mass exodus of summer interns. Their presence and contributions make saying goodbye bittersweet.
The good news is, we get to welcome new interns in the Fall. So if you or someone you know is looking to gain firsthand experience in the Fair Trade movement, please check out our new internship opportunity below. You’ll get to do things like write this monthly Fair Trade Roundup (written by Fair Trade summer intern Beilul Naizghi!)
Global Exchange Fair Trade Internship
Join the Global Exchange Fair Trade team! If you are in the Ca Bay Area this Fall and looking for an internship in the Fair Trade movement, read on…
Global Exchange is looking for a self-motivated intern to join our Fair Trade team to gain hands-on experience with our Fair Trade campaign AND Fair Trade stores. We are looking for an enthusiastic, organized individual with strong writing skills to learn, grow and work with us.
To see the complete internship description, including qualifications and responsibilities, please visit Global Exchange’s Internship Web page.
- Fairtrade International: Fairtrade Access Fund’s first loans making impact
- Christian Science Monitor: Follow your labels: Your place in the global consumer chain
- Fair for Life: Revision of the Fair for Life Social & Fair Trade Programme
- How We Made It In Africa: Talking farming with Fairtrade Africa head James Mwai
- Professional Jeweler: New premium pricing for Fairtrade precious metals
- Fair World Project: Some Good News, A Challenge, and A Call for Transparency
- Fair trade International: Nespresso and Fairtrade join forces, launch innovative farmer support programme
- Triple Pundit: A Look at Fair Trade in the Wake of Bangladesh
THE FAIR TRADE ROUNDUP AND YOU!
• Subscribe to our Fair Trade blog to receive new Fair Trade blog posts automatically.
• News to share? If you’ve got big Fair Trade news to share, email Tex Dworkin.
• Enjoy this Fair Trade Roundup? Then click the Like and Tweet buttons on the top right of this post to share with others. Thanks!
Posted on: August 7, 2013