1st November, 2011 - Posted by Carleen Pickard - No Comments
On November 2, 2011, Global Exchange will stand in solidarity with the Occupy Oakland (#OO) movement and the broader Occupy Wall Street (#OWS) movement to participate in the General Strike/Day of Action.
Join us on the streets (or online) tomorrow and unite with thousands to demand an end to corporate greed, bank bailouts, the gross income disparity destroying this planet and a shift to new alternatives for a peaceful and just society. We are the 99% who say enough is enough.
We know the facts, but seeing them together is staggering:
- Unemployment is firmly mired in the double digits and growing, while the rich remain sheltered from paying their fair share of tax on earnings and capital gains;
- The climate crisis remains unaddressed by global leaders and the U.S. Congress while President Obama contemplates whether or not to green-light the devastating Keystone XL pipeline;
- We are heading into the 10th year of war spending (at $3 billion a week!);
- Corporations fought hard and won Citizens United and the ‘right’ to spend unlimited funds to get candidates into office;
- The wealthy (such as the Koch brothers) encourage corrupt Governors to end worker protections;
- Banks and Wall Street continue getting huge bonuses (Wall Street bonuses were on average above $125,000 per person for 2010) and bailouts while the rest of us get sold out;
- Free Trade agreements, like NAFTA, have cost the U.S. manufacturing it’s base and good jobs while in Mexico millions have lost their livelihoods. Millions of Mexicans have migrated north, while thousands of economically desperate youth back home have become victims of violence in the drug war run by the drug cartels;
- Fewer and fewer students can afford to attend college (public university costs have risen over 8% in the last year alone), and those that do, face skyrocketing debts that would have seemed unimaginable just 15 years ago; upon graduation when they don’t see any openings in their field they head straight for a “McJob” or the unemployment line.
Enough is enough.
We support our local community.
We resist injustice everywhere.
We are the 99%.
On Wednesday, our staffed office in San Francisco will take to the streets in Oakland as thousands did during the General Strike of December 3, 1946. Our Fair Trade stores in Berkeley, San Francisco and DC will be open to support artisans in the majority world and 9.9% of store income for the day will be donated to #occupyoakland and #occupydc.
Keep up to date: We’ll be using our website, blog, twitter account and facebook as a hub of information and live updates, so check them throughout the day. The good folks at Movement Generation have a great list of events posted here.
Join us as we stand in solidarity with the 99% and demand justice, people power NOT corporate power and true democracy.
Show your support – “I AM 99%” stickers are now available. Click here to order sheets of 6, calling for: Public Health, Jobs & Justice, Tax the Billionaires, End the Wars, Public Schools and Green Jobs Now.
Catch up on movement news: At Global Exchange, we’ve been posting our observations as this movement grows, as well as blogging about our participation in various marches, rallies and our recent experience in New York at #OWS.
Here’s a list of our Occupy blog posts:
- A Day in the Life of Occupy Wall Street – the Community Rights Experience
- Community Rights goes to Occupy Wall Street
- “They know precisely what they want”
- ‘Cos the Power of the People Don’t Stop
- Signs of the San Francisco Occupation
- The 99% Say Enough is Enough
- Call to Action for 10 Year Anniversary of Invasion of Afghanistan
- The 99% Demand: Occupy Wall Street! Bring Our War $$ Home!
Get Occupy Updates Sent Direct to You: Subscribe to our People to People Blog here.
Just Added! Check out our photos from the Occupy Oakland General Strike/Day of Action!
Posted on: November 1, 2011