6th February, 2012 - Posted by Tex Dworkin - No Comments
We hear a lot of talk about war, violence and destruction, but what about peace? This important question is the inspiration behind our international arts contest, aptly named What About Peace? The contest is for youth ages 14 – 20 to express ideas and thoughts about peace by responding to the question, “What About Peace?” through artistic expression.
Though the contest is in full swing and the deadline is closing in, there is still time to enter. All entries must be received in our office on or before February 15th, 2012 to qualify.
I meandered over to the contest submission area at our office today to peek at the entries, and I have to say, I got a little verklempt. There are some really inspiring pieces already in, organized in boxes by category, with bigger pieces stacked behind. A surprisingly large haul of photographs and poems. Cool!
But I’m not the only one. Throughout the workday today I could hear other Global Exchange staffers milling about the contest submission table, checking out the newest arrivals.
Of course it’s not up to us who wins the big $1,000 prize. That will be up to the grand judge (to be announced soon right here on our People to People blog.) Last year Global Exchange’s Kirsten Moller was the What About Peace? grand judge and shared her reflections in this blog post about the contest winner.
The Contest Accepted Mediums are:
- Telling a story (up to 500 words)
- Writing an essay (up to 500 words)
- Creating a poem (up to 200 words)
- Painting a picture or collage (up to 18” x 24”)
- Taking a photo (up to 11” x 14” on photo paper)
- Designing a graphic, poster or comic strip/cartoon (up to 18”x24”)
It’s not too late to enter! If you are between the ages of 14-20 enter today. If you are a teacher, counselor or youth worker, please encourage your students to apply.
The Grand prize is $1000, but more than $2500 in total prizes will be awarded. Check out www.whataboutpeace.org for all the entry details.
WHAT ABOUT PEACE? RULES N SUCH:
- You must be between 14 and 20 years of age to participate.
- One entry per person…One person per entry.
- Entries won’t be returned. What About Peace? has the right to use any and all entries on our website, in displays, and in publicity for the contest. Copyright belongs to the entrant.
- Be sure that you and your teacher/sponsor understand our stance on copying and plagiarism. They are not allowed.
- Send your entry and the form to What About Peace ? at 2017 Mission Street, 2nd floor, San Francisco, CA 94110; All entries must be received in our office on or before February 15th, 2012.
WHAT ABOUT PEACE? WINNER DETAILS:
- The sponsor/teacher of each winner will be notified of their winner(s) by US Mail.
- All winning entries will be posted on our website, www.whataboutpeace.org on April 20th, 2012.
- Sponsors/teachers will present What About Peace? awards in our name.
- All winning entries will be posted on our website on April 20th, 2012.
SPREAD THE WORD! An easy way to spread the word about this exciting contest is to Share and Tweet this post (buttons on top right of post.) Here’s to a peaceful tomorrow.
Posted on: February 6, 2012