After a month of visiting 25 cities across the United States to raise awareness about the Drug War, the Caravan for Peace with Justice and Dignity has come to a close. However, the end of this cross-country journey is just the beginning of new partnerships, friendships, and a new way forward to change the policies of this war that has hurt so many of us.
In every city we visited, the Caravan for Peace achieved powerful results and raised awareness that will fundamentally alter the course of the failed drug war.
Starting in Southern California, through the South West, into Texas, across the Deep South, north to Chicago, and along the East Coast, each community greeted the caravaneros with heartfelt and moving events, complete with music, food and commitments to support the Caravana’s on going agenda. Our journey would not have been possible without solid grassroots support — thank you!
Thousands of people have expressed their support for ending military aid to Mexico, changing the dialogue on prohibition, promoting immigration policies that respect the dignities of all people, and ceasing the flow of illegal weapons across the border.
Continue to join the Movement for Peace with Justice and Dignity for the next ten days as we take action for 10 Days for Peace & Human Rights from September 12-21.
Join the call on President Obama to stop the flow of assault weapons into our communities. Help us get to the critical 100,000 petition signature mark and support the victims of the drug war.
10 Days for Peace & Human Rights Sept 12 – 21
- We mourn the lives lost and dedicate ourselves the changes we need to see.
- Organize Your Communities and Prepare for the International Day of Peace on the 21st.
- Organize Conferences, Screenings and Artistic events that help further awareness of Human Rights.
- Generate working groups to peacefully and effectively speak out against violence and injustice you see in the world.
- Be creative!
Plan your action:
- Find a central place or a symbolic place where people can gather.
- Dress in white and carry flowers, candles and statements calling for the end to the violence.
- Make a call to your local press person and designate a press spokes person.
- Sing, chant, march! Keep speeches to a minimum.
- Send your best pictures and descriptions to Info@caravanforpeace.org so it can be posted on the Caravan for Peace website.
- Collect names in order to continue your local work – passing a city resolution, setting up speaking events for victims fundraising for the Movement for Peace and Justice with Dignity.
- Don’t forget to send us a description of your event it can be posted on the Caravan for Peace website.
- Help reach the goal of 100,000 signatures in our petition to stop illegal gun smuggling by September 12th. You can do so by texting “peace” to 225568 or visiting the petition online at Presente.org.
Once again, thank you for your continued support every step of the way on this journey for peace with justice and dignity.
Posted on: September 13, 2012