We’re looking for the bold, the adventurous, and the dedicated to help us Beat the Heat this summer and address climate change!
We’re doing everything we can to make sure the planet is inhabitable for generations to come, and we want you to join us.
So we’ve put put together this five point plan of action to address the climate crisis in the coming year:
1) Safeguarding our water by passing community ordinances to ban fracking;
2) Halting the Keystone XL Pipeline, and saying NO to more dirty Tar Sands oil extraction;
3) Protecting the world’s working class by promoting Fair Trade;
4) Exposing lobbyists and corporations who undermine our democracy and prevent law makers from taking meaningful steps to address climate change;
5) Stopping the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), slated to become the biggest ‘free trade’ agreement of all time that would have devastating effects on ecosystems and labor movements across the globe if ratified.
In order to make this plan into a reality, we’re going to raise $40,000. And this year, for the first time ever in our 25 years, we’re reaching out to members, supporters, and blog readers (hint hint) to lend a hand with our fundraising efforts.
Take Action! You tell your story, tapping into your strengths to make an impassioned request on behalf of our ailing planet, and ask your community to join us as we Beat the Heat this summer. Making use of Firstgiving.com, you’ll be able to set up personalized fundraising pages to share with friends and family, whose donations to Global Exchange will be put to immediate use supporting our ongoing work to address climate change.
And just to make things interesting, we’re offering prizes for your participation! From June 7th to July 15th, we’re hosting the Beat the Heat contest with an amazing top prize.
Everyone who raises over $500 will be entered into a drawing to win an all expenses paid* Reality Tour to Oaxaca, Mexico in October of 2013. You’ll celebrate Global Exchange’s 25th anniversary in a region of rich culture and a history of organizing against repression.
Other great prizes include:
- Top Fundraiser: a prize package valued at over $500, including a one-year subscription to the Earth Island Journal magazine, a $300 Gift Certificate to Pave Fine Jewelry, a gift package from Little Moon Essentials, and a five DVD set from Focus Features
- Most Creative: An Equal Exchange Fair Trade prize package including Fair Trade coffee, chocolate, tea, and a unisex hoodie from American Apparel..
- People who raise $150 and up: Everyone who raises $150 or more will recieve a 2 month supply of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream**
- EVERYONE: Just by setting up a Firstgiving.com fundraising page, you’ll be entered to win a Fair Indigo prize package, including a hand embroidered travel sling and rattan.
Act Now! Contest begins June 12th and ends July 17th.
*Return airfare and ground expenses for the Anniversary trip to Oaxaca available to entrants within the contiguous 48 United States. For those outside of this area, a prize of 2 ground expenses for the Anniversary trips to Oaxaca is available.
** Two month supply consists of two Ben&Jerry’s gift certificates
Posted on: June 5, 2013