Author's Spotlight: Shannon Biggs
Shannon Biggs directs the Community Rights organizing program at Global Exchange, assisting communities confronted by corporate (and State) harms to organize in a new way—by passing cutting edge laws that place their rights above the claimed “rights” of corporations (also called rights-based organizing). She is the co-author of two recent books: The Rights of Nature: The Case for a Universal Declaration of the Rights of Mother Earth and Building the Green Economy: Success Stories from the Grassroots (Polipoint Press, Fall 2007). She is also a national lecturer of Democracy Schools, which teach this new organizing model. Previously, she was a senior staffer and editor at the International Forum on Globalization, and a lecturer of International Relations at San Francisco State University. She holds a Masters Degree from the London School of Economics (LSE): Economics/Empire & Post Colonialism.
Posts by Shannon Biggs:
- Cautionary Tales of Fracking Tour in California: March 15th-22nd
- New Release: A Call to Action for Nature’s New Economy
- A Summit on the Equator, Seeking New Rules for Nature
Welcome to ‘Frackland’: Does a River Have the Right Not to be Polluted?
- January 28, 2014 in Community Rights
- Planting Seeds with Vandana Shiva & Prince Charles: Reality Tour to India’s Earth University
- A One-Man Fracking Ban
- There Is No Planet B: Update on Rights of Nature at the United Nations
- Legalizing Sustainability? Santa Monica Recognizes Rights of Nature
- Corporate Executives Say Fracking is GOOD for You. Do You Trust Them?
- Got Climate? Why California Communities are Rising Against Fracking (and why you should too)
- Beyond Personhood: Why Corporations Love the Constitution More Than You do
- Community Rights Holiday Reading List
- This Election’s 4 Deepest Democracy Victories You Missed
- Refineries, Rights and Richmond, CA: Weekend Workshop Puts Residents and Nature in Charge
- From the Mouths of Babes at Rio+20 “Join me in Earth Revolution”
Global Exchange Brings Rights of Nature to the 2012 Earth Summit (Rio+20)
- June 7, 2012 in Community Rights
Honoring the Sacred: Indigenous Wisdom on Rights of Mother Earth
- April 11, 2012 in Community Rights
- The Best Government the 1% Can Buy: Is Reversing Citizens United or Corporate Personhood Enough?
- Community Rights goes to Occupy Wall Street
Have You Ever Pondered The Nature of…Nature? Attend This Rights of Nature Training
- August 31, 2011 in Community Rights