Applications are accepted and reviewed during the Fall and Spring on a rolling basis. Fall internships will typically start in September and last through December or January. Spring internships typically begin in January and will last through May. However, this may vary according to the internship you apply for. If you see an internship posted, it is open!
Click here for an Internship Application
The following jobs are available:
- Mexico Human Rights Program Research and Organizing Intern
- CODEPINK Women for Peace Intern– Campaigns Support (SF, LA and DC offices)
- Video Production Intern
- Social Media and Communications Intern
- Website Update and Content Writing Intern
- Global Exchange 25th year anniversary- organizing position
The Mexico Program seeeks an intern to support staff who are working with like-minded Mexican and U.S. organizations to challenge the assumptions and policies that support the deepening militarization of public --counternarcotics --- policy. Our work involves support to human rights and democracy advocates and organizations; building US coalitions that support ending prohibition, cracking down on those selling guns to the criminal cartels, as well as opposing "Plan Merida" and DOD efforts to "assist" Mexico's army and police. Please note: the Mexico Program will not be accepting applications for the fall internship position until mid-September.
- Strong speaking and writing skills in both English and Spanish
- Extensive knowledge of Mexican current affairs
- Strong research and organizing skills.
- Support staff in organizing efforts and coalition building around the issues of peace, justice, and human rights in Mexico
- Research around relating issues including but not limited to; US and Mexico drug policy, gun trafficking, militarization of US/Mexico border, immigration reform, and the peace movement in Mexico
Please check out the Mexico Human Rights Program webpage for more information and our current work.
Codepink is seeking interns for our LA, SF, and DC offices who are enthusiastic and passionate about ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, ending the Israeli occupation of Palestine and lifting the siege of Gaza, and creating a world of peace, compassion and equality. By interning in our office, you'll learn the basics of grassroots organizing from outreach to publicity to fundraising.
- Knowledge of how to use an Apple computer (or bring your own laptop)
- Microsoft Office
- Social media (twitter/facebook/etc.)
- Decent writing and editing skills
- Outgoing and comfortable talking with new people
- Passion for ending war.
- Phone banking
- Data entry
- Creating posters, designing fliers and outreach materials,
- Researh around issues relating to US military intervention overseas including the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the current conflict between Israel and Palestine. peace and anti-war organizing efforts in the US and around the world.
- Updating the website
- Attending meetings, rallies, demonstrations, and press conferences;
- Participating in national staff and coalition conference calls.
This is an internship for someone who likes being in the streets, getting behind the scenes, taking on leadership, and being self-reliant and independently responsible.
For more information about CODEPINK and to find out about our current campaigns, visit us at www.codepink.org.
VIDEO PRODUCTION INTERN:
Are you an aspiring filmmaker or video editor who wants to use your powers for good? Do you dream of making videos that tell a moving story and inspire people to take action? Can you take footage, edit footage, and upload to the web?
Global Exchange is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working video intern to support our campaigns and departments. Working directly with our campaigners, you will support and help shape Global Exchange's public image, online presence, and convey our current work to our supporters and allies.
- Superior video editing, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to take video footage, edit in Final Cut Pro, and upload files to YouTube and other web sources.
- Proficiency in English; conversation level language skills in other languages are a plus
- Fantastic prioritization and time management skills
- Familiarity and/or desire to learn about the following issues: human rights, direct democracy, the 2012 election and what’s at stake, campaign finance controversy, corporate personhood, socially responsible travel, green alternatives, and community and nature's rights.
- Affinity with online organizing using tools such as Facebook and Twitter
- Additional experience with graphic design is a plus but not required
- Work with and report to our campaigners and administrative director to create short, moving videos that provide factual information about Global Exchange, who we are as an organization, and our current work.
- Other video editing responsibilities for other departments at Global Exchange where possible.
Social Media and Communications Intern:
Join our Communications team and help promote Global Exchange’s campaigns, programs, Reality Tours and Fair Trade store information as well as push out information about events, Days of Action and urgent alerts. We're looking for interns interested in keeping us in the mix of Tweeting, Facebooking, blogging, etc. You will gain hands on experience and learn about the latest trends in social media marketing, search engine optimization, and online community building.
- Excellent writing skills
- Excelllent communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast, dynamic environment
- Affinity with online organizing using tools such as Facebook and Twitter
- Experience using WordPress is a huge plus.
- Interns will be working on our many social media profiles
- Managing and posting directly to our blog network, and websites and work directly with our communications team.
Check out our facebook page and follow us on Twitter: @globalexchange
Website Update and Content Writing Intern:
Join our Communications team and help promote Global Exchange’s campaigns, programs, Reality Tours and Fair Trade store information as well as push out information about events, Days of Action and urgent alerts. We’re looking for interns interested in detail and design. You will gain hands on experience and learn all about our website and content management systems.
- High level of attention to detail and design
- Interest in web design and communication platforms
- Familiarity with HTML is a plus
- Updating our website with new content
- Writing new content for consistency
- Overall making a strong impact to our online presence
Here at Global Exchange we deeply value diversity, continually educate ourselves about privilege and oppression, and integrate these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. Women, People of Color, and LGBTQNGCI folks encouraged to apply.
2013 marks Global Exchange’s 25th year anniversary which is exciting and we hope to find many ways to celebrate a quarter of a century of promoting social, environmental, political and economic justice around the world.
We are looking for an independently driven individual, who can commit 10-15 hours per week, and can help us shine in our 25th year.
- Able to work independently, while still being able to thrive within a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Event planning experience
- Strong research and organizational skills
- Passionate about human rights and social justice
- Interested in learning more about the non-profit sector
- Collect data and historical information
- Create methods to creatively display our history
- Some writing of past campaigns, movements and other legacy pieces
- Conduct interviews
- Plan small events
This is a great opportunity to learn the inner workings of a non-profit organization and to gain an in-depth understanding of Global Exchange’s mission and campaigns (past and present.)