The Latin America & World Reality Tours Coordinator will manage and coordinate all aspects of Global Exchange’s Latin America and World Reality Tour programs. The primary responsibilities include: communicating and responding to participant inquiries; designing and coordinating trip itineraries to over 15 global destinations, with a strong emphasis on trips to Cuba; and generating meaningful communication and engagement related to Reality Tours programs for returning participants and Global Exchange members.
Global Exchange is an international nonprofit human rights organization dedicated to promoting social, economic and environmental justice around the world. Our campaigns and Reality Tours programs are designed to influence U.S. policy, both corporate and governmental, around issues such as trade policy, democracy, peace, and climate justice.
Within a strong framework of socially responsible travel, Global Exchange Reality Tours explore social, economic and environmental justice in over 40 global destinations. Since our founding in 1989, Reality Tours has utilized travel as an educational tool to build understanding across cultures and borders and to inspire individuals to take action and promote peace.
Today Global Exchange Reality Tours organize trips to over 40 countries in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Participants learn about women’s struggles in Afghanistan, the impact of oil exploration on Ecuador’s indigenous communities, the struggle for peace and justice in Palestine and Israel and provide opportunities to travel as civic ambassadors to Iran and North Korea, breaking down the stereotypes and misinformation that can lead to hatred and war.
We also offer Customized Reality Tours, which provide an alternative and increasingly popular form of educational travel, exclusively tailored to the particular interests of any group.
We are seeking an experienced and passionate trip coordinator with a strong knowledge base of Cuba, Latin America and global politics to join our Reality Tours team, as soon as possible. The Latin America & World Reality Tours Coordinator will be the front-line of Global Exchange’s international Reality Tours program, developing Reality Tour trips and programs, focusing on day-to-day communication and recruitment of participants to travel with Global Exchange, responding to inquiries about Reality Tours programs, coordinating in-country Reality Tour programming and logistics, and generating engaging materials to share with our constituents and members. The position is full-time and based in San Francisco, CA. This position is salaried DOE (between $35,000-$40,000), benefits included.
- Promote and secure participation on open and custom Reality Tour trips: engage and send up to 500 Reality Tour participants on Reality Tour programs annually.
- Serve as the face of our Cuba, Latin America and World Reality Tours programs: respond to incoming email and telephone inquires regarding Reality Tour trips; apply highly detailed field knowledge to inform and engage travelers; promote Tours through Global Exchange's online and direct mail channels – keeping trip web-pages current and engaging.
- Development and execution of up to 50 trips annually to Cuba, Latin America & global Reality Tour destinations: develop social, economic and environmental justice themed Reality Tours trips, including itineraries and budgets; develop and disseminate Reality Tour orientation and reader materials; and manage all trip logistics.
- Reality Tour Account Management: maintain and manage all participant information, keeping accurate database records; process travel invoices and payments; schedule out-of-country partner payments and accounting; maintain financial records for trip income and expenses, ensuring all trips meet financial goals.
- Long-Term Participant Engagement: follow-up with trip participants incorporating them into Global Exchange campaigns or other national/international campaigns.
- Develop and post engaging content for our website and social media channels: update the website, share-out stories from in-country partners, maintain news updates and assist with designing promotional materials using video, photo and web based media.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2-4 years professional travel or related experience;
- Familiarity with Cuba, Latin American, world politics, and U.S. foreign policy;
- Proven positive track record in customer service and great “people skills”;
- Ability to write at a high level, creating error-free, emotionally engaging content within a relatively short window;
- Ability to organize and prioritize assignments and tasks, as well as adapt and react quickly as projects evolve;
- Ability to take initiative; work independently, as well as able to work as part of a team;
- Computer literacy (Mac environment, Salesforce experience a plus);
- Highly motivated, creative, organized and detail-oriented;
- Flexibility; ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice work;
- Willingness to travel;
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) is a must.
How to Apply
Send an email to Corina Nolet, Reality Tours Director, at email@example.com  with “NAME: Latine America & World Reality Tours Coordinator” in the subject line. Please include:
- A succinct cover letter that explains why you want to join our team and your commitment to social change.
- Your resume and references.
No phone calls or other inquiries accepted.
Global Exchange is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. All interested candidates, regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation and physical ability, are encouraged to apply.