Now Hiring: Executive Director
Open Until Filled
Global Exchange is a non-profit, international human rights organization dedicated to fostering social, economic and environmental justice around the world. We envision a people centered globalization that values the rights of workers and the health of the planet; that prioritizes international collaboration as central to ensuring peace; and that supports local, green economies that embrace the diversity of our communities.
Over our 25+ year history, Global Exchange has exposed and highlighted the dark undercurrents of U.S. foreign policy and corporate behavior with creativity and daring, speaking truth to power. We’ve meaningfully engaged our members, building and strengthening solidarity networks around the globe that share information, host exchanges, and take local action.
After a period of contraction, we are building a revitalized Global Exchange for the challenges of the 21st century—an organization that produces and distributes field-leading, incisive content that reaches millions; that enables meaningful exchanges between Americans and their counterparts around the world; and that activates our membership to fight for a more just foreign policy, international understanding and peace, economic justice and environmental sustainability.
Our current programs include Reality Tours to more than 30 international destinations and campaigns designed to influence U.S. policy, including the failed war on drugs, trade policy, and climate justice.
About the Executive Director Position
Global Exchange is seeking a dynamic and dedicated leader to take the organization into our next era of human rights and social justice work. The Executive Director is responsible for managing all aspects of Global Exchange’s work, including: determining strategic direction, directing program development and campaign selection, developing and cultivating relationships with donors and foundation partners, financial oversight and management, and recruiting and managing staff.
The Ideal Candidate
You have a passion for human rights and social justice with a proven track record of initiating and managing winning campaigns. You are an experienced leader with exceptional communication skills, and have the ability to build consensus and energy around your ideas. You have a solid understanding of global human rights issues, corporate led globalization and the American political context. You possess excellent judgment and can respond quickly to take advantage of new and strategic opportunities to advance our mission.
- Strategy and Vision: You have ideas and vision for advancing Global Exchange’s mission. You have at least 5+ years of leadership experience.
- Campaign Planning and Execution: You know how to analyze targets, develop concrete strategies and execute campaigns and actions to educate and activate a large and diverse membership base, donors and partners to achieve our mission.
- Excellent Communicator: You know how to get your message across and gain support for your ideas. You have solid written and verbal communication skills.
- Fundraising & Financial Management: You have demonstrated experience in executing successful fundraising strategies. You love donor cultivation, have ideas for expanding membership and know how to build lasting partnerships with foundations. You are detail oriented and have the ability to set, track and meet annual budgets.
- Management Experience: You have experience managing a diverse team toward achieving common goals and objectives.
- Additional Skills and Talents Desired:
- Highly motivated, creative and organized;
- Ability to take initiative; work independently as well as able to work as part of a team;
- Ability to mobilize and work with diverse constituencies;
- Significant experience developing and executing media strategy, including experience organizing on online social media platforms;
- Flexibility; ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice work;
- You are willing to take risks and try new tactics and ideas;
- Willingness to travel.
- Be a spokesperson to build the visibility of the organization to the public and to our funders; working on a communications strategy including online, print and in-person activities. The Executive Director will represent Global Exchange in new coalitions and joint projects, in the media and with donors.
- Work with the Board of Directors and our coalition partners to develop strategy, budgets, objectives and timelines for campaigns.
- Work closely with the Development Director to raise funding for existing and new campaigns.
- Work closely with the Reality Torus Director to identify new travel seminar destinations and to ensure budgets and goals are being met in the current program.
- Oversee administration, financial accountability and report regularly to an active and engaged Board of Directors.
This is a full time position starting as soon as possible. The position is open until filled. The salary for this position is competitive for a small non-profit Bay Area non-profit. Benefits include health and dental insurance and a 403B program.
This position reports to the Board of Directors and is based in San Francisco, CA.
How to Apply:
To apply, send a resume, references, and a cover letter to email@example.com  with YOUR NAME and Executive Director Search in the subject line.
No phone calls or other inquiries accepted
Global Exchange is an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. All interested candidates, regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation and physical ability, are encouraged to apply.