Cuba at a Crossroads
This is the registration page for the "Cuba at a Crossroads" customized tour for Beaudelaire Alums and Friends. This is a customized tour that is only open to invitees of the Beaudelaire Alum group. To register, please read the information below and click "Sign Up For This Tour."
As Cuba is a unique travel destination, please read the following before you reserve a space on your licensed People-to-People tour to Cuba.
Global Exchange is a licensed Travel Service Provider to Cuba. Travelers will be traveling under the Green Cities People-to-People license with Global Exchange as the licensed Travel Service Provider.
General notes about our program:
Travel to Cuba for Americans and Permanent Residents of the U.S. is tightly controlled by the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC). U.S. law imposes restrictions on how much individuals may spend there and what may be purchased and imported to the U.S. Further information will be sent to you. If you require further information please visit www.treasury.gov and see the Cuba sanctions pages.
Participation: U.S. law requires that all participants of this program adhere to the full time schedule of people-to-people activities. Aside from illness or special circumstance, deviation from this itinerary, even in part, is not permitted.
Itinerary: Specific itinerary inclusions, visits, meetings with individuals and organizations, and home visits are dependent on outside factors and it may sometimes be necessary to substitute with alternatives of equal relevance and interest.
Flights from Your Home City to/from Miami: The charter companies that operate flights from Miami to Havana operate on a different scheduling timeline from other domestic or international air carriers, and will confirm the final flight times of your charter flights between Miami and Cuba close to two months before departure. If you are making your own air arrangements to/from Miami, please wait for confirmed charter flight timings before booking your tickets.
Infrastructure and Hotels: Cuba is a developing country and as such, visitors are reminded that certain aspects of life are not the same as in North America. Many amenities and services we take for granted are luxuries in Cuba, or simply not available. Hotel accommodation in Cuba is subject to the same influences and while basic necessities, comfort and cleanliness can be assured, you should not expect U.S. standards. While specific hotel requests are always prioritized to the highest degree, specific hotels cannot be guaranteed for the duration of the tour. Please bear this in mind when booking this trip.
Visas/Passports: A Cuban tourist visa is included when you purchase the round trip charter flight to/from Miami for all travelers regardless of nationality. You will receive your visa in Miami the evening before departure. Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your return travel date.
Deposits/Cancelation: The $500 deposit is non-refundable. The remaining balance of the tour is due 45 days before departure. The remaining balance is refundable up until 30 days before the tour, in which case it becomes non-refundable.
Information about the Tour
Dates of Tour: March 7-18, 2015
Itinerary Highlights May Include:
- Walking tour of colonial Old Havana
- Visit to school for children with Down's Syndrome
- Overview of Cuban architecture with leading Havana architect
- Visit to the province of Santi Spiritus, including visits to community development centers and ecological excursions with local naturalist experts
- Visit to the colonial city of Trinidad, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Meeting with Cuban economist to discuss the changing economy
- Program itinerary including entrance fees and honoraria
- 2 meals daily, 1 meal provided on transportation days to and from Miami
- Accompaniment of bilingual Cuban facilitator and translator
- Round-trip airfare Miami-Havana, including Cuban Visa and mandatory health insurance
- In-country transportation for all program activities
- Four star accommodation in Havana, Three star accommodation in provinces
Price Does Not Include:
- Airfare to and from Miami
- Airfare exit tax departing from Cuba of 25 CUC
- One meal a day
- Tips for chambermaids, restaurants, guide and driver
- Luggage fees Miami-Havana
- Expenses of a purely personal nature
To register, please click "Sign Up For This Tour" below and fill out the online registration form. Deposits will be called in to Barb Stavig of Nob Hill Travel at 503-245-6455, M-F 9am-5pm. Once we have received an online registration form and charged the $500 deposit, you will be considered fully registered. The registration page is open May 6-May 13, 2014, to ensure an appropriate window to purchase travel insurance.