Palestine Fair Olive Harvest
We invite you to join Global Exchange for a very special "Fair Olive Harvest" Reality Tour. The Israeli-Palestinian conflict has ensued for sixty years, while Israel's forty year occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip is the longest in modern history.
Travel to Palestine and Israel, and learn how fair trade cooperatives are restoring hope and providing economic alternatives to a population under occupation. Harvest olives with Fair Trade farmers, use organic farming practices, witness the community building strengths of Fair Trade cooperatives, and cultivate a greater appreciation of Palestinian traditions, food and people. You will also discuss integral human rights issues with Palestinian and Israeli organizations, as well as observe first-hand the effects of occupation on the Palestinian economy, tourism and life.
Learn how to help change the U.S.'s negative role in the conflict, and the benefits of supporting Palestinian Fair Trade products in the U.S. Resources from the trip will support self-sufficiency and promote solidarity between internationals and Palestinian farming communities.
What is Fair Trade Certified? Fair Trade Certified helps family farmers in developing countries gain direct access to international markets and develop the business capacity necessary to compete in the global marketplace. By guaranteeing farmers and workers a fair price for their products—as well as direct access, credit, and support for sustainable agriculture — organizations such as Global Exchange partner, Fair Trade USA, has enabled farmers in some of the most disadvantaged communities in the developing world to invest in their products and in critical community development initiatives.
*Please note that October 25th and November 4th are travel days*
- Visit with a Fair Trade Certified Cooperatives throughout the West Bank.
- Visit a fair trade artisan workshop for persons with special needs.
- Harvest olives with fair trade farmers, using organic farming practices, in Sebastiya and Jenin.
- Join farming communities at Sebastiya's old stone olive press as families bring olives in during the harvest.
- Celebrate Harvest time with internationals and community members at the Taybeh Oktoberfest featuring traditional food, folk music, and traditional Palestinian dance
- Meet with development and land reclamation projects
- See the Apartheid wall and how it effects towns and communities along its path
- Meet with Palestinian, Israeli and International human rights and solidarity groups
- Double room accommodations with host families and guesthouse
- 2 meals/day (lunch excluded - specifics included in itinerary)
- On-ground transportation
- All program activities
- Honoraria to all host speakers, organizations and communities
- Trip leader(s), guide and translator
- Reading materials
- International airfare, tips and personal expenses are NOT included
- Single room requests may not be available due to the nature of trip. Please inquire with coordinator if this poses concern
To register, please send in your application form and a deposit of $400. Payments by Mastercard, Visa and Discover are welcome. Deposits are non-refundable unless the trip is canceled by Global Exchange as explained below.
Please note: We must meet a minimum number of trip participants on every trip, so please register early!
To ensure that all participants can plan accordingly, the minimum number of participants must be reached within 30 days before departure, or the trip will be canceled. If canceled, registered participants can choose to receive a full refund or transfer to a future group. Once a trip is confirmed (reaches the minimum # of participants) all participants will be informed immediately.
This trip will be as diverse as possible in terms of race, age and life experiences. In some cases, a limited number of partial scholarships are available for low-income applicants.