Viet Nam at the Crossroads
People traveling to Vietnam are often startled by the beauty of the country and the graciousness of its people, qualities that have not faded despite the punishing long war with the United States as well as the subsequent 20-year embargo which lasted until 1995.
Travel to Vietnam with Global Exchange and see how 35 years after the end of the American War, Vietnam is faring after years of war, deprivation and now command capitalism. We will meet Vietnamese who are inventing their future and confidently entering global markets. Vietnam now has a thriving tourism industry and rapidly growing economy while working to maintain and expand health care, education, poverty alleviation programs and civil liberties. You will visit schools, factories, clinics and be able to meet artists, writers, politicians, teachers, musicians, farmers and environmentalists.
The emphasis of this tour will be on Vietnam's societal reconstruction, cultural resurgence and unique mix of Socialism and Capitalism. Global Exchange tours to Vietnam and travel from Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) in the south. We cannot go to central Vietnam because it is typhoon season. Weather during the late fall to early winter is cool to warm, but not hot.
Early arrival or later departure is fine- and our excellent Vietnam tour operator can help make additional arrangements for individuals. On this once-in-a-lifetime trip see for yourself the contrasts that comprise modern Vietnam.
A valid visa is required to enter/exit Vietnam.
- After 10 days in Ha Noi and North Viet Nam, we will travel South Ho Chi Minh City and the southern Delta
- Learn about the successes and failures of building socialism in the aftermath of feudalism and colonialism
- Meet Vietnam most dynamic avant-garde artists
- Spend a day on a boat and kayak in Ha Long Bay
- Visit a rice-producing village during the October Harvest time. (Vietnam is the world's 2nd largest rice-producer; 75% of the population is rural)
- Visit urban and rural community projects, schools, factories, clinics and meet with political representatives, artists, intellectuals and ordinary citizens
- Meet with a Vietnamese economist to discuss how "Market Capitalism Under State Control" (Vietnam's blending of Socialism & Capitalism) actually works
- Meet with environmental activists
- One in-county air flight
- All ground transportation (private bus & train)
- Private boat trip in Ha Long Bay, Perfume River
- Double-room accommodation- we can usually pair you up with a roommate (add $350 for single room)
- 3 meals per day, with lunch and dinner at a local restaurant serving Vietnamese food
- All program activities and entrance fees, trip leader(s)
- Guides and translators
- Preparatory reading materials
- Personal meetings to suit your particular interests (as available)
- Not included: International airfare, visa, tips, personal expenses and personal donations.
To register, please send in your application form and a deposit of $400. Payments by Mastercard, Visa and Discover are welcome. Deposits are non-refundable unless the trip is canceled by Global Exchange as explained below.
Please note: We must meet a minimum number of trip participants on every trip, so please register early!
To ensure that all participants can plan accordingly, the minimum number of participants must be reached within 30 days before departure, or the trip will be canceled. Registered participants can choose to receive a full refund or transfer to a future group. Once a trip is confirmed (reaches the minimum # of participants) registrations may be accepted up to 1 week before departure.
This trip will be as diverse as possible in terms of race, age and life experiences. In some cases, a limited number of partial scholarships are available for low-income applicants